View Single Post
Old July 7, 2010, 02:16 PM   #34
booker_t

Donny, FBI is an excellent objective.

Let me say that the language will help you, but it can also pigeonhole you, so it may or may not be the best track into FBI (althoug it's definitely worth learning as I say). There are several tracks into being an 1811 Special Agent and language is one of them, as is finance/economics, engineering/science, diversified, and a few others.

Typically, the FBI wants their applicants to make something of themselves in a field before they apply. Get your Bachelor's degree, then at least 3 years of professional experience. Try to pick up a masters part-time while you're working. If you want to work white collar crimes, then working at a large bank or financial institution is the way to go. If you want to work forensics, then a medical/science degree and work experience is best. Typical range of ages for new SAs I believe is 27-34 years old. First check out the website, there's a ton of information about the requirements and application process. Then if need be, call your local Field Office and ask to speak with a recruiter or Application Coordinator, they can give you additional information.

Generally, if FBI is your goal, then keep it in mind with every decision you make from now until you're in your mid-20s. No DUIs, no drugs, document your foreign travel, keep your nose clean and stay squared away physically. The application and vetting process can take from 4 months to as long as 2 years, but be patient and if it's meant to be, it will happen. A large number of highly qualified applicants fail the polygraph and unfortunately, that's just the way it goes. But, don't try to beat the poly, don't research it, it'll only hurt you when the time comes. Best of luck.

Page generated in 0.04351 seconds with 7 queries