View Single Post
Old June 20, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
those opposed to gun rights have always believed they have the right to own guns, just that the average man or woman can't be trusted with them.
I absolutely don't think that is true. I see two very different types of gun control advocates that encompass most but not all of the anti-gun proponents.
The first the elitist who thinks gun should basically be regulated out of the hands of those poorer/darker/whatever than themselves or those they feel they control(military, police, etc.). It is not only white millionaires with this perspective. I know lower middle class hunters and Asians with these perspectives. Heck, I worked with a first generation African immigrant who thought as much about the descendants of slaves in the US. This group terrifies me and includes people like Mike Dewine, McCain, and my Father. Many if not most are "conservatives."
The second is idealists. They actually think a gun buster sign makes them safer. They think criminals will not be able to get guns if they are illegal. They look at gun crime numbers in the UK dropping after the ban and refuse to acknowledge that violent crime numbers did not drop. The vast majority of Liberal anti-gun proponents and those that I actually meet and talk to fall into this group. I find them to be a whole lot less terrifying than the other group and almost feel sorry for them as they seem to have a "the government/society will provide and protect me."

Quote:
Thus, it is arguably more reflective of her personal views, of which there is only a scant paper trail.
But the thing about her is that she seems to be very good at separating her personal views from the LAW of the US. She seems to be more dedicated to the Rule Of Law than most appointees. If she holds to that we won't have any problems. I would much rather we have a Justice who personally disagrees with me but professionally follows the rule of law than one who mostly agrees with me and makes decisions based on personal opinion.

Page generated in 0.04445 seconds with 7 queries