View Single Post
Old June 19, 2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Gator Weiss

Is there anything WORSE than a chainfire?

Just a couple of years ago, I saw someone fire a very new looking stainless steel Remington revolver at a very popular public range that I sometimes use. All of his chambers seemed to fire normally. The sound on some of his shots was a little different as if the charges were not uniform. Some were definitely louder. They were his only six shots for the day. A problem developed. He was using a tube of patch grease that was commercially produced for BP shooting and probably purchased at the range. He was using dynamit nobel caps and a new batch of speer soft .454 lead ball ammo. I was not watching particularly closely when he loaded, because I was down the line, and shooting and loading my own BP pieces and cartridge guns.

After he finished shooting, I did see him as he tried to pull the pin and drop out the cylinder. The cylinder would not rotate in a complete circle when he tried it with his hand. That was probably why he wanted to get the pin out. He walked up to the range office where there was a guy doing some smith work. He came back to the range a while later. He said he couldnt fire that particular piece anymore. He had in his hand the cylinder pin, which he said had to be hammered or "drifted" out by the smith, who evidentally told him that it could not be straightened. In looking over the pin, it looked normal until you looked near the end at the "pull" or rather the "T" area, where you could see there was a slight warp. At the spot where the warp began was a line that didnt quite go all the way around the pin, that probably would just line up even with the edge of the center boring in the cylinder where the pin passes through it. The framed appeaed normal as did the barrel. The only disturbance appeared to be to the cylinder pin.

In talking with the young shooter, he said he said he had been pouring powder into the cylinder directly from a FFFG powder can. He had no powder measure with him, and was apparently estimating what he thought he needed to pour into the cylinder. He was of the erroneous opinion that if you overloaded a BP revolver, you would not be able to seat the ball below the surface of the cylinder. My guess is that he probably overloaded the piece. It being stainless, it probably had a somewhat harder cylinder pin. If it had been blue, maybe the pin would have been of softer stock and more disturbed under such pressure.

Anyone had this happen before? What would have happened if it was a Colt style weapon? Did the top strap save the piece from futher destruction?

Page generated in 0.04717 seconds with 7 queries