View Single Post
Old June 16, 2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Fiv3

I don't get out into the wilds enough to where a man NEEDS a firearm to protect himself from creatures sporting teeth and claws, nor do I regularly hunt. My firearm "needs" out in the woods are for just-in-case.

I'm experienced enough that should the SHTF, a gun is not going to make or break me (probably). However, there is something wholesome about packing around a piece of technology that put food on the table and men in holes for generations. I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with only a BP revolver on me while I take my walks...walks, I might add squarely in cougar and two-legged country.

Another added benefit that I can see to BP is that it isn't just an offensive/defensive lethal weapon, but that it can also be used as a noise maker to scare a critter you would rather not tangle with (lots of smoke, fire, and man-made smells coming out of shot). Load it up with plenty of powder and no ball and you have a nice report and flash beacon should you get turned around in the dark

That said, if I'm just going for a short walk, a light polymer pistol using smokeless is just much easier to pack. If I'm going out in the woods/woods, I don't think I would mind carrying my '58 Remington. If I'm making an event out of the hike, the added weight and care needed for the gun doesn't bother me too much.

Page generated in 0.04378 seconds with 7 queries