Thread: 28th amendment
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2010, 11:24 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
No language is so clear that a determined and unscrupulous opponent cannot misconstrue or ignore it.
You have clearly forgotten about those supporters who don't share the same views. The discussion of what consitutes a "well regulated militia" is a classic example.

Quote:
Given the meanings of the word "regulate" at the time, I would suggest that "well-regulated" was intended to mean "in good order".
Okay, vague phrase followed by vague definition. What does "in good order" necessarily mean and who determines what is in good order.

I am not sure how much the work "regulated" would have changed meaning in 20 years, but in Federalist No. Alexander Hamilton does not appear to be using the term of "regulated" (or its various tenses) to mean in good order. After the salutation the first statement is that...

Quote:
THE power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.
The "power of regulating the militia" seems to go well beyond simple voluntary people who are ready to perform and he later stresses the regulation of the militia by the national authority.

Page generated in 0.04565 seconds with 7 queries