In no particular order, but starting with the subject gun to get it out of the way:
- Mini 14 - .223 (Ammo availability/cost independent= 6.8) - HD, close-to-midrange fending off hordes
- Win 94 Pre 64 20" carbine - 30-30 (brush deer and "just because")
- Browning 92 - .44 Mag brush popper - deer, cats, bear BUG, HD BUG
- Browning 86 SRC - .45-70 - (bear country camp gun and "just because." Laminated stainless Marlin a more serious (right brain) choice here if actually going on Alaska excursion)
- Ruger 10/22 (fun pest and plinker, HD BUG2BUG2BUG)
- Winchester 69A .22 bolt - accurate, classic field .22, survival (Win is sentimental fave but could also easily be CZ, Kimber, etc., of course).
- M1 Carbine, GI - (HD close (100 yd peri) in and "just because")
- Win 70 Pre 64 .300 Win Mag (large deer thru elk). Yes, could be an '06 but with luxury, am bracketing.
- Win 70 Featherweight Classic 7mm-08 (mountain rifle/deer)
- M1A SOCOM (mid-long range HD/SD/fending off pirate boats/general survival)
Tears of apologies to 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th choices:
- Beloved Win 70 (CRF) .270 (ultimate all around deer and sheep, but in a 10 gun list, covered by two bolts above)
- Browning 92 - .357 (all 'round close in game, HD/SD BUG)
- Rem custom shop .22-250
(long range varminter/tack driver)
- Pre 64 Win 70 .375 H&H ("just because")
OP didn't ask, but:
- M1A (non SOCOM?)
Ruger Mini 30
- Win 94 AE .30-30 circa 1983/4 (sentimental choice goes to Pre 64 however)
1 Gun: Honorable mention-to- honorable mention. (I.e., if all were right with the world of ammo):
- M4 or Mini 14 6.8, (former if SalreadyHTF, latter if not)
- Pre lock Win 94 AE 7-30 Waters 22-24"
1 gun if limited to antique (C&R) and esp Pre WWII (just trying to keep it interesting :-))
- Win 1894 .30-30 round barrel 24" ca 1900-1941
Last edited by gak; April 23, 2010 at 02:13 AM.