View Single Post
Old March 15, 2010, 06:01 PM   #43
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFNoDak
However, I don't like to hear stories of people calling the cops to harrass law abiding citizens for being law abiding citizens. I'd like to see some way to make them (the folks who make the calls) rethink what they are really doing when they call the police and why.
I don't have any statistics or sources for this but I am willing to bet big that most folk who call 911 when they see OC are not wanting to "harass" a law abiding gun owner. I believe they are not used to seeing someone carrying around a gun in public and so they are frightened. With the incidences of mass killings and spree murderers that keep being broadcast by the media I think their fear is explainable.

We had a dim-witted kook here in Nashville who walked about a suburban nature park in military style cammies with an AK-47 handgun configuration slung over his shoulder scaring the heck out of the bird watchers. Park Rangers were called and he was released after questioning. Later, the idiot walked down the middle of Belle Meade Boulevard (ritzy part of town) carrying a pistol openly in his hand. Police were called and later this numbskull sued the police and park rangers for "violating his civil rights".

Fortunately, his CCW was been suspended by the state and I hope permanently.

Tom is completely right in his ideas that trying to "punish" folk for being afraid of firearms could backfire and only bring us more gun control attempts that the courts MAY NOT overturn.

Better IMHO to teach and encourage tolerance than get militant and try to ram it down their throats.

While Heller, McDonald and other cases have and will indeed secure more lost rights for gun owners I submit we will NEVER see any gun, anywhere, anyone as law and that the fed, states and local authorities will still have some descretion in regulating guns. I think being good citizens will secure more tolerance in those cases where descretion is exercised rather than militant activity that could backfire into more regulation.

Remember, many movements and strategies can be undone by overplaying one's hand.

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; March 15, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.04465 seconds with 7 queries