View Single Post
Old February 22, 2010, 09:24 AM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
My insurance company does not seem to care if I have a dog.
Mine did, as well as most of the ones I contacted when I was trying to get home owners insurance for a new house a few years back. There is actually a list of dogs (around 10-12 breeds) that will cause you MAJOR grief with the insurance companies.

We have two Rotties. As has been mentioned already by others, they are family members, and are treated as such. They have no "attack" training, and none is needed, they do have discipline training though, as should all dogs.

I think most dogs that are kept in the house as pets will respond just like any other family member to a threat to a loved one, and probably sooner, as they dont have the programing to hesitate that we have had instilled into us. With Rotties, this is much more of a issue, as they are fiercely loyal to the family, and usually specifically more so to one person in the family. In our house, that person has always been my wife.

Over the years, we have had a couple of incidents (we've owned Rotties for 20+ years now), which for the most part all turned out OK for all parties involved, including the dogs. In most cases, my wife and kids were the reason for the incidents, and not so much that my wife loosed the dogs, but that the dogs made the decision themselves, and intervened. While no one was bitten, one kid was knocked down and ''restrained". In all cases, the dogs responded to an act I would have also responded to, so I believe the responses were appropriate, others did not. Oh well, such is life with big, "mean looking" dogs.

We choose to have these dogs for a couple of reasons. One is just the companionship. 99.9% of the time, these dogs are pure babies, and they are just 120-130 pound lap dogs. They are just big goof balls for the most part, and great family dogs.

Another, is security. They are our alarm system, and an instantly proactive one if the alarm goes past the first stage. Where we live, we dont have 911, and if we're lucky, the Troopers will get here in under a half an hour to take the report. Until then, we are on our own.

I think you have to look at the dogs the same as you carrying a gun. Either way, you will probably encounter the same aftermath (to some extent) if either are used to solve the problem. You can choose to worry about what "might" happen if you should, and put yourself at risk by doing things with that mindset, or you can live life as you want, with the same knowledge and a more realistic approach, and accept the fact that you may (or may not) have to deal with things afterwords. I would prefer to prevail, and survive as unscathed as possible, and then worry about dealing with the issue. An issue that may never occur. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are still trying to do our thinking for us.

Page generated in 0.04480 seconds with 7 queries