View Single Post
Old January 30, 2010, 10:05 PM   #58
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I know why cops stop me, they are ignorant or crooked.
...and we come around to the real point of these antics: baiting cops and then bashing them for doing their jobs.

Had you posted that you openly carried a holstered gun around Belle Meade to protest an unjust ordinace, and that you'd been unlawfully detained and searched, the experience would have merited mention here.

But, as you stated, your activities had nothing to do with activism. You've no stated interest in changing anything. All you did was Freak Out the Squares. I'm sure the pro-gun folks in that town cringed.

If the ordinance does violate Tennessee's constitution (I'll let TN-savvy folks chime in on that) or if it was simply ludicrous, then how hard would it really have been to repeal? My guess is that it's on the books simply because nobody ever noticed it. Furthermore, I'd lay odds that there has never been a single criminal prosecution under it.

Usually, a brief statement at a city council meeting or a few focused letters are enough to get it thrown out.

That's how it's supposed to work, and it does so without engendering any ill will of any sort. If you'd done that, you'd have my sympathies, and likely my thanks.

Quote:
At what point do we have any right to judge a LAWFUL behavior as being "bad for our cause", "over the top," or "grandstanding?" When we make judgments like that of others, are we not guilty of the same actions that we accuse those "more anti" than us of?
That's a really good question, and different people will draw the line in different places. In this case, I'd argue that we have a behavior that definitely doesn't help. Intent, presentation, time and place should all be considered. At the end of the day, we are better than our adversaries, and we must act the part.

So, yes, someone who's well-dressed, polite and carrying openly doesn't bother me. Good for them. But when it's done for the sake of self-gratifying theatrics, or to deliberately disturb people, I have a real problem with it. The latter can cause problems for all of us, whether we're on board or not.

Quote:
Keep in mind Rosa Parks refusing to go to the back of the bus was planned out, not a spur of the moment thing.
I keep seeing this analogy, and could we please stop using it? It has the potential to seriously offend some on the surface, and what's more, there's little equivalence.

I've never been denied employment or paid a lower wage than someone else because I'm a gun owner. My children aren't forced to go to separate schools than those whose parents send money to the Brady Campaign. I may get grumbled at by liberal dinner guests, but nobody's ever burned a cross in my front yard.

There are better, less potentially embarrassing ways to make our point.

Page generated in 0.04594 seconds with 7 queries