View Single Post
Old January 5, 2010, 04:02 PM   #31
Daugherty16

Carry a gun? Better be able to think fast.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about state law. I was talking about common sense. Are you honestly going to shoot someone who is trying to steal your lawnmower (for example)? I pray you never find out the price you'll pay for that decision. I would GIVE him the lawnmower if its that desperate. I can get another. But ending another human life over a trifle possession, thats permanent. I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever force necessary to protect life or limb but a possession? Not likely.
+10 for Jon

To the OP: your comments sound like you're primed and ready to be quick on the trigger. While that could save your life someday, I think some FOF training, some LF1, etc., or even trolling around some old topical threads here would be a very wise investment. At the very least, as Marksman implied, you ought to refrain from expressing that "shoot first, ask questions later" viewpoint, in writing or verbally. Stuff like that could be used by a DA to hang you and could well be the little detail that swings a jury against you, if it ever came to it.

As for the scenario, it's way too general to contemplate seriously, imho. I've always found that real-life self-defense situations (not mine, from the news) make the best post-game review. And usually even then, we end up making assumptions because we never have enough information about the actual incident. Of course, that's how this would play out in the streets, albeit much, much more quickly. Shoot/No Shoot decisions have to be made in an instant. So anyhow, when you sit back and visualize your scenarios, (which we all do!) i'd suggest flavoring it with as much detail - specific detail - as you can, then think it through. Focus on how you can identify the actual threat(s) and deal with it, while not shooting unarmed homeys along for the ride.

Disparity of force someone mentioned. But i thought you put the other dudes some distance away and not necessarily close by, threatening you. The disparity argument works if they display weapons (ability) and intent, but unarmed it only works if they're actively beating the stuffing out of you AND you reasonably fear for your life. Standing on the corner shouting at you for shooting their buddy doesn't meet the test. Even so, there is a big difference between their fists and your firearm - by definition, firearm use equals lethal force. It is imperative for everyone with a CCW to know the laws governing lethal force in their jurisdiction.

A good lesson can be learned from the Oklahoma pharmacist who went from lawful self defense to murder within a span of perhaps 30 seconds.

end of lecture. sorry, got on my soapbox.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Page generated in 0.04515 seconds with 7 queries