Ok, here I go again, asking for advice. I don't know much about folding knives other than it's a good idea to have one with you at all times...I lost my Gerber LST last September while TDY in Korea. I know I need a good folder (I've owned a Randall Mod 14 [one of the greatest fixed blade, all around fighting knives ever made, IMHO] for about 20 years) but want to borrow on what I've discerned to be the high level of expertise on this forum. So far, I've figured out this much:
1. I don't want to spend over $200.00.
2. Blade length must meet FAA requirements as I spend a lot of time on airplanes (I believe there is a 3.5" limit on folders).
2. Go with spear point or tanto...Advantages/disadvantages of each?
3. Steel type? I hear ATS-34 (or equivalent) is the HOT set-up...what do you say?
4. Serrations on blade or not...and why or why not?
Emerson Knives (Redondo Beach CA) sent one of their catalogs, and I like the specs (and price range) of their products. The CQB-7 lists with a 3.3" blade and is available w/spear point or tanto type blade. What's the poop on his knives?
All advice will be greatly appreciated.