View Single Post
Old October 6, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
FrontSight

bswiv: YES, you can freeze it for a certain number of days, dependant on the temperature, to kill any trichinosis worms.

Here's some info on it from Wiki (you may want to therefore verify it somewhere, since we know how reliable Wiki is. I froze mine for a year at -10 degrees, only because I kept putting it off for a couple of months & then tax season hit & I have zero time for anything else then):

Wikipedia

Freezing Time for Cured dry sausages

Cured dry sausages are prepared in a similar fashion to cured cooked sausages. The major difference is that Prague powder #2 will be used in place of Prague powder #1.

In addition certified meats must be used. Since these products are never heated to a temperature that can kill trichinosis it is necessary to accomplish this by other methods.

The usual method is via freezing. Pork may be rendered acceptable for use in dry sausages by freezing it using the following guidelines:

-5 °F 20-30 days
-10 °F 10-20 days
-20 °F 6-12 days

The specific regulations are quite complex and are beyond the scope of this article. They depend on the thickness of the cuts of meat, the packaging method, and other factors. In addition there are very specific requirements as to the times in the drying rooms and the temperatures in the smoke rooms.

While it is quite feasible for the small sausage kitchen or hobbyist to produce excellent cured dry sausages, a great deal of technical information is required. Alternatively certified pork can be simply purchased.

Page generated in 0.04292 seconds with 7 queries