View Single Post
Old August 26, 2009, 07:27 AM   #11
TailGator

Quote:
the gun must be both encased (snaped holster or zipped pouch or snapped case) and out of reach (glove box or trunk or back seat). Gotta be both.
I am neither a lawyer nor a CCW instructor, and I don't really worry about it because I have had my CCP for many years, but with the word "or" in the law as quoted in post #5 . . .

Quote:
Check Florida Statute 790.001 "Definitions"
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or [emphasis added] in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
. . . I would not interpret it that way, and I have not previously heard it interpreted that way. Seems like "or" should be changed to "and" if you had to do both. My understanding is that glove compartments and consoles are sufficient without an additional holster or pouch. Reading it liberally, as its intention is stated, it would seem that a snapped holster on the seat beside you would actually be legal, too, because of that pesky "or" word, but I'll let someone else test that part of the law.

If still in doubt after reading the law carefully, though, it may be time to get legal advice from a qualified professional rather than an internet forum.

Last edited by TailGator; August 26, 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.04673 seconds with 7 queries