View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 07:10 PM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
The world is full of trained people who do stupid things every day too. Bus, ferry and train drivers sending text messages, police officers shooting themselves with their own gun, airline pilots with hundreds, even thousands, of hours training crashing planes by reacting wrongly....
Trained people mess up. Sometimes by not acting as they've been trained. And sometimes because the training needs to be improved or because they needed more. But trained people overall do difficult things better than people who have no training to do those things.

The next time you fly, would you rather have a trained and qualified pilot or someone with no training but with self proclaimed common sense flying the plane?

Quote:
So far as education, well, some of the people with the LEAST common sense that I have ever experienced have had letters after their names....
But I still want my doctor, my lawyer and my accountant to have the education, the letters after their names and the licenses.

Quote:
Instinct is not synonymous with common sense. It is, in fact, quite often the opposite.
Really? Then where does common sense come from?

If, as you've asserted, it can't be trained, it must be something one is born with. But if it's something one is born with, it must be innate or instinctual.

If common sense is not innate or instinctual, it must be something that is learned. If it can be learned, it can be trained, or improved by training.

Quote:
You confuse people who ARE discussing these things with people who are aware enough to BE discussing these things.
A distinction without a difference. Many of the participants in those discussions have no idea what they are talking about.

Quote:
What sort of "basic training"? I've seen people who have taken many hours of training that they WANTED to take, which they PAID to take and which did them no good whatsoever. How much good is 1 or 2 or even 3 "required" courses constituting at most a few hours going to do?
I don't know what you've seen and I'm not responsible for what you've seen. I do know that the people who take the 10 hour Basic Handgun class that I and several colleagues teach leave far better able to manage a handgun than they were when they came in.

I do agree that a class of only a few hours is insufficient for someone without a solid foundation already. The point is not that training isn't important. The point is that what now tends to pass for training is grossly insufficient and that in many classes the students aren't held accountable with enough rigor for having mastered the material.

Page generated in 0.05540 seconds with 7 queries