I can't provide info on law but:-
- A .22 firing sub-sonic ammo with a silencer will make a "Puut" sound, at about the same level or less as you clapping your hands.
- Some semis won't cycle on semi-auto with subsonic ammo.
- If you silence a center-fire and use super sonic ammo you will still have flight noise and the super-sonic crack but not the muzzle blast. This means that while you won't be silent, if you are "bombing up" a mob of goats they won't know where you are but will know they are being shot at, giving you some more time to get off a follow up shot.
- Get an over-barrel silencer. The main reason for this is that it has two contact points and is harder to knock out of alignment.
- The over-barrel silencer will lengthen the barrel. I tended to recommend cutting 2" of the barrel to improve balance.
- An over-barrel silencer will affect fps. You will generally gain velocity (due to free-bore boost) and accuracy.
- Due to action noise you won't get them silent. If you do use the 10/22 look at something like this to reduce action noise.
Have a look here
. It may be cheaper than getting one in the US.
Here in NZ anyone can buy a silencer and as a consequence we silence almost anything. The shop I have linked to had an 870 with a full over-barrel silencer.(Note: I did used to work for them but now have no affiliation with them. I just referenced them as they are Australasia's biggest firearms retailer.)
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.
Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Last edited by Falcon5NZ; July 3, 2009 at 04:08 AM.