View Single Post
Old June 10, 2009, 09:46 AM   #136
Uncle Billy
Hello, everyone! I'm mid 60's old and have been involved with guns all my life. My Dad used to help me shoot his little .22 revolver when I was 6 or 7, and guns have been a part of my world since then. Shooting, hunting and guns in general have always been a significant thread in the history of my family since colonial times. My small collection includes a few guns that while they aren't really very valuable, are significant in the history of my family and our close friends- a working Charleville musket carried by an ancestor of ours who was in Washington's army; a .30 caliber carbine carried with Patton's army in North Africa; a .300 H&H Model 70 that took some record game in the Yukon more than a half century ago; a couple of High Standard automatics that went everywhere we went on fishing and hunting trips; a .30-30 Winchester that over the years has killed more than an entire herd of New York whitetails, one at a time; and so on. I grew up with them and others that I acquired over the years, and have enjoyed almost every aspect of firearms and the shooting sports. I'm not a hunter although hunting has been a tradition in my family since colonial times, so I have absolutely no argument with those that do hunt, as my father and all before him did. I shoot targets with rifles, handguns and black powder flintlocks; shoot trap; I handload most of the ammunition I shoot; I carve and inlet gunstocks and build flintlocks from parts (thank God for Dixie Gun Works!); I'm certified by the NRA and the Boy Scouts as a Shooting Sports instructor, which I thought might make a good post-retirement activity; I have a concealed weapons permit so I usually have something in my pocket wherever that's legal; and so on. I look forward to visiting this forum frequently and learning from the rich expertise of others.
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?
Page generated in 0.04162 seconds with 7 queries