View Single Post
Old April 25, 2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Chindo18Z

Some thoughts on tactical reload:

Anything that drops (or gets ripped) from my rifle/pistol magazine well or is dumped from my revolver cylinder...becomes the property of earth's gravity.

My only objective in a reload is to quickly & smoothly top off (speed reload). If the situation and time allow, I'll recover anything I've dropped. If not, so be it.

Old Magazine Out. New Magazine In. Readdress Threat As Needed.

I've undergone Tactical-Reload instruction over the years, and even tried it diligently for a short time. I quickly discarded the method (manipulating two magazines at once) as an interesting card trick for the range...and that's about all. I'm not coordinated enough to reliably do it under stress and not smart enough to understand why I'd even want to.

Some thoughts on night training:

Shining a flashlight seems intuitive; we've all used flashlights since childhood. Most of us know how to shoot a handgun. Thus, we think that it will be relatively simple to take care of business by whipping out the old SureFire and trusted blaster.

Most folks would be well served to put themselves into a pitch dark closet, bathroom, or wooded treeline and knock out enough pushups to get their heart rate and breathing up. Then attempt to (using an empty weapon) draw, aim, fire, manipulate a safety or decocker, practice a malfunction drill, reload, and reholster. Then repeat with a combat light. That (using a light) will solve some problems encountered in the first drill (total darkness), but present several more (which will become self-evident when practiced).

It's not enough to just stand in front of a mirror in a lit room, practice a few dry fires, flash your light a few times, and call it good. You need to stand in the dark and do the things you need to do...slowly at first...and by touch. When you get comfortable, add the tactical light to the mix.

You would never let your 16 year-old borrow your car on a Friday night if you knew they had never practiced any driving at night, but had only conducted driver's training during the day.

It's kinda the same with night firing and tactical lights. It's not actually rocket science, but it is not something you want to do for the first time under real conditions.

Last edited by Chindo18Z; April 26, 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.04288 seconds with 7 queries