View Single Post
Old March 27, 2009, 10:34 PM   #57
eddiejoe333

When I lived in Illinois, I had an FOID card, so my purchases could be tracked more easily. In California, there was a very long waiting period. In Tennessee, it was a shorter waiting period. In Michigan, until recently, I had to get permission from my local police dept. to purchase a handgun, buy it, return it to the police dept., and wait for a "safety check" to be performed. Now, I merely have to ask, "Please, Sir, may I have some more?" I must also keep my permit-to-purchase paperwork with me for at least a month, even if I don't have the weapon with me, or so I have been "advised."

This reminds me of a story, which I will attempt to relate, probably poorly:
During WWII, a priest was lamenting, "When they came for the Communists, I didn't speak up. When they came for the homosexuals, I didn't speak up. When they came for the Gypsies, Masons, and Jews, I didn't speak up. Now that they've come for me, there's no one left to speak up."

You see, we may not all agree with one another about revolvers v. semi-autos, or 9mm v. .45ACP, or stainless v. blue. We come from different backgrounds, faiths, and philosophies. We can all agree on this, though: WHETHER IT'S A GUN, OR A BOOK, OR A THOUGHT, WHEN SOMEONE TAKES IT AWAY FROM ONE OF US, IT IS TAKEN FROM ALL OF US!

A little over-the-top? Maybe, but totalitarianism seeps in through the cracks of the democracy in which the ruled are distracted when their basic freedoms are being confiscated, rendering them defenseless. See what happened in the last century in Europe and Asia as they were caught between the hammer of communism and the anvil of facism.

OK, the soapbox is straining from the weight, so I guess I'm finished.

Page generated in 0.04276 seconds with 7 queries