View Single Post
Old March 1, 2009, 12:40 AM   #30
treo

Quote:
That seems a little brusque
Quote:
Quite frankly, the quote by treo, above, displays an attitude that is conducive to the Us/Them mentality.
I hate to be the one to break it to you but the American Justice system IS us V. them. It is adversarial in nature and the police officer while certainly your ally is just as certainly not your "friend". His job is to make arrests and gather evidence to help the prosecutor secure a conviction.

Quote:
as to why cops would like to know if someones got a gun during a stop or not.
In keeping with the above, I DON'T CARE if the cop wants to know I have a gun. If he really wants to know he can ask.

As I said earlier the cop's job is to gather evidence and make arrests. My job is to protect my rights. The easist way for me to do that is to answer as few question as possible. In my experience cops don't just stop people on the street just to shoot the breeze, if a cop is talking to you he suspects you of something. There are plenty of people in this country that have gone to jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and matching a general description.

Treo's first rule of police interactions: If you talk long enough to a cop you WILL say something that can be used against you.

Rule 2: You have nothing to lose by shutting up

Page generated in 0.04999 seconds with 7 queries