View Single Post
Old February 27, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.
I think he is saying that the militia as a primary protector of the state (from enemies foreign and domestic NOT the government) is no more and just the militia today is a dead letter. However, the protected right which is the right to keep and bear arms, is still protected even though the fit between it and the militia is no more. I think he is speaking against those who posted here in this thread:http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=338159 that the 2A gives ordinary citizens protected legal access to military arms.

I think it was important to decouple the militia, which is no more, from the right of all citizens to keep and bear arms. The Brady's wanted to couple them to render the individual right moot.

Page generated in 0.04681 seconds with 7 queries