View Single Post
Old February 16, 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
oldkim

The farther you shoot the more the spread

Accuracy will vary from what type of shooting you are looking at. Your gun will also factor in for this as some models will lend itself to shoot like for shear accuracy or bullseye shooting you want a pretty good set up, full frame with adjustable sights and a match barrel. Ammo will also play into this type of shooting as you want the best you can get for the money.

For service stock shooting - meaning guns you just buy off the line. Sights can be pretty rugged and crued but on the mark from the factory. So, distances you are shooting really tells me a lot of what you want to achieve.

Shooting at 21' - 30' (7-10 yards) is more to self defense, target shooting.
Shooting at 75' - 150' (25-50 yards) is more of the bullseye shooting.

So, what is acceptable? This variable also lends to how are you shooting it? Who you are shooting with and how good you are. Meaning, are you standing (I know you are). Sitting and on a benchrest or rapid fire (and timed). Are you shooting from the move?

So, I break this down... if your standing and shooting 10 rounds (no time limit) versus shooting 10 rounds rapid fire (under 5 seconds) than what you would expect regardless of distance would be different.

For you I would say work on your 10 yard shooting - keeping your shots within 5 inches is pretty good, depending on how much time you are taking.

Shooting to the left indicates you are putting too much pressure with your trigger finger causing the muzzle to change your POA (point of aim) just before you fire. Working at minimizing your groups at 10 yards will also help you work on getting your 25 yard groups down too. At the closer distance you can see and work on the finner aspects of marksmanship. At 25 yards unless your using a good scope placed where you can easily see it without adjusting your grip - since if you change your grip you just lost the fine edge of understanding the finer points of shooting.

Shooting is all about consistency. Like someone else has mentioned it's all about practice too. You can't get consistency without a lot of practice. Practice dry firing to familiarize yourself with the trigger and feel of the gun.

Lastly, you may want to get a .22LR pistol. This will let you shoot about 10-100 times more for your buck. Practice, practice practice. A good conversion for your current gun may also be good since it retains your frame (grip). This will also help you get more comfortable with sight picture and just shooting without the recoil.

Fundamentals: it's all about fundamentals. I teach Grip, Sight Picture and Trigger Control. For fine accurate shooting besides getting your sights on target is that TRIGGER.

Hope this helps! Keep on shooting.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org

Last edited by oldkim; February 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add one more comment

Page generated in 0.04394 seconds with 7 queries