View Single Post
Old January 30, 2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

I hate to say it, but I don't think the American people have it in us anymore.

There was an essay published a few weeks back which showed that less than 5% of gun owners were politically active (I can't remember where it was; if somebody remembers, I'd be grateful). Most of the people I see grumbling about the election can't even name their own senator.

Right now, it seems every third person I talk to has some sort of Guy Fawkes fantasy going, but ask them if they've ever so much as spoken to their representative, and the answer is no. Ask them if they vote locally, and the answer is no. They'd love to do something, but Tuesday's not good because Taylor has soccer practice, and Sunday's definitely out of the question because the Steelers are playing.

Yet these are the people who claim that they value their rights, and that they'll fight for them. These aren't average Joes on the street; they're folks who identify themselves as "gun people."

You'd be amazed how many gun people voted for Obama, despite his record. We can't even agree on political candidates; how could we agree on a course of action that will lead to the sorts of hardships rebellion would incur?

Those who might have the inclination, motivation and means to rebel will likely look around and realize that they will have no meaningful support they can count on.

I'd like to think that gun people are as politically aware and active as the archetype suggests, but I've seen too much evidence to the contrary. Sure, there is a subset of us who pull the weight, but for the most part, the gun culture is no more attuned to this than any other segment of American culture.

Yeah, I'm a real ray of sunshine today, I know. But this is what I've been seeing and hearing the last few years, and the conclusion is inescapable. It's not just about the 2nd Amendment, it's about all of our rights. We've been gladly accepting incremental infringements since Reconstruction. See this week's Supreme Court decision in Arizona v. Johnson.

I get the feeling a revolution would be short-lived, and that the end result would be an even more oppressive situation.

Page generated in 0.04326 seconds with 7 queries