View Single Post
Old January 16, 2009, 06:30 PM   #97
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
If you consider rudeness to be fun I think we are back to one of those character problems I mentioned.
Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone. Or better yet, remove the log from your own eye before you remove the splinter from your neighbor's.

Quote:
That is a question that is not restricted to academic studies or statistical analysis.
True, in a greater sense but the thread has revolved around studies and statistical analysis.

Quote:
You may not find it germane while others do.
I think that is why I post against using what you are asserting.

Quote:
How do you know if the study is misquoted or has flawed methods without looking at it yourself? Your assumption is that someone would come here and intentionally offer up incorrect information that they knew could be easily checked.
No, I don't know others intentions unless they tell me. Actually, I think some who use statistics and quote studies may not have really looked at and examined the studies themselves and so context and meaning of what those statistics show are misunderstood.

Quote:
If you are too lazy to look something up on your own, don't expect somebody else to do the work for you.
I think we confuse opinion and fact here. The more thoughtful posters provide references when they present something as fact, an opinion needs no reference. Presenting something as fact without a reference and then telling a person who questions the statement to go look it up is rather discourteous and lacks credibility.

Quote:
1 in 200, at peetzakillah pointed out, is accurate and in context for one question. That you (or others) cannot figure out how to use that stat in context for your needs is not a problem with the data, the analysis, or the findings.
Actually, it was a previous post you made not peetzakiller and the stat was out of context and plainly so.

Quote:
And if everybody who made any claim of fact always posted a reference communication on the forums would grind to a halt.
No, I think it would (and has) made the dialogue much better and useful.

Quote:
Never confuse knowledge and confidence with surety and arrogance.
From the Dictionary, Arrogance: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions. I rest my case.

Page generated in 0.04788 seconds with 7 queries