View Single Post
Old January 15, 2009, 08:42 PM   #93
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
I wish you would have the same courtesy and put me on yours,
Why? And miss all this fun? :

Quote:
However, since I found that it was a quote of yours that I was responding to in one of JohnKSa's posts I thought it only fair to continue the dialogue directly
Well good I am glad to know I am off the list now

Quote:
If one is unable or unwilling to learn to use the information available, that is not the problem of the person providing the information.
I think the question is whether the study used provides accurate and germane information. Also, that the person who quotes the info provides it properly and in context. If one says "well studies show" and they misquote the study (and don't provide a reference) or the study has flawed methods of gathering the data then the information is not much use, especially in formulating a plan of action for self-defense.

Quote:
in a non-reviewed and refereed arena, such as this, there is often no way to know the source of the person who is flushing, no way to check their honesty,
Quote:
don't think it was the NRA that questioned it first, but yes, the NRA did publicize the issue. AND the person doing the publicizing, criticizing, etc was an ACADEMIC, a full-blown Ph.D. type, working with the NRA.
Speaking of that, I don't see a reference and I am not sure that statement is accurate. Again, it does not require a PhD or an academic to read a study and question it's methods of data gathering.

Quote:
Most stats tossed around here are pretty straightforward.
Straightforward, maybe. Accurate and in context no. Like the "There is a 1 in 200 chance that you will one day need a gun". Incorrect use of a statistic.

Quote:
And sources are frequently provided for those who are too lazy to do a simple Google search, but even then they are rarely looked at.
I always thought that if you made a claim of fact on a forum and wished credibility you would provide the reference rather than tell someone to "look it up". Unless of course one feels they should not be questioned, but I don't know your credentials and so I would ask for references instead. Sort of a trust thing.

Quote:
As my dear Mother has been known to say, "Ignorance is bliss" and for whatever reason way too many folks in the gunworld have way too much bliss.
Perhaps and maybe you know better but as I once was told:“When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken."

Page generated in 0.04376 seconds with 7 queries