View Single Post
Old January 5, 2009, 01:12 AM   #45
Bruxley

Quote:
While the owner of a private property cannot take legal action against you for violating policies that are in conflict with COTUS, he or she may expel you from that property for any reason that he or she sees fit.
I realize we agree fundamentally and hope you don't find me as challenging you as if we do not. But asking someone to leave is a far stretch from making law against such a right. I would have issue with someone bearing their firearm in a threatening fashion such as pointing it at people or simply waiving it around wildly. But to have it concealed.....with a permit to do so elsewhere.....no, not a constitutional law. And a general policy against it is no different then policies against distribution of pro-choice literature or against a specific newspaper being on campus. How about a no praying on campus policy or a policy that your on-campus housing be subject to search for any reason that campus security or faculty finds fit.

Don't like it, well don't come on campus, or to the bus stops or depots or supermarkets or Parks or......etc., etc.

Tolerating a LAW against a RIGHT out of coercion due to loss of employment or housing would have people up in...well...arms if it were the right to free speech, press, religion, against unreasonable search or seizure or warrentless wiretapping or mail being opened and read before delivery to on-campus housing.

The point is that a premise has been made that College or Universities are somehow different them other public places. They are not just a group of schoolhouse buildings that are left empty when school is out. They are always open, public spaces, with shops and public streets, and public events, shows, theaters, museums, libraries, etc. They are as public as any place.

What place is more public then a College or University campus after all.

Easier question, if a law directly conflicts with a civil right, is it valid? If a public policy does is it valid.

A bit of quick research without an in-depth digging reveals that the wide majority of Universities are in fact public. Further I found no law against carrying on private University campus . Virginia Tech is a State, not private, University.

State property open to the general public would find it very hard to assert private property rights to infringe upon Constitutional rights if that right were anything other then the right to bear arms.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

Last edited by Bruxley; January 5, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.04810 seconds with 7 queries