View Single Post
Old August 23, 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I couldn't help myself... I went back & put it on layaway... not before borrowing the gun for a complete exam, from my local gun builder ( lets just say he's very familiar with the Remington rolling blocks...

in short... it's customized beyond returning to original, but is a very solid #1 Black powder action, with ( not terrerifically well fit ) but acceptable, very nice wood, probably done in the 40's as a bench rest gun... the trigger is incredible, very light crisp pull, with no over travel, the hammer, has a side spur welded on to it, & is stippled on top in the thumb area... the 225 Winchester barrel has better than 1/2 of it's life gone, & may be at the point that the accuracy is starting to go away... besides, my buddy thinks the 225 Winchester was unsafe in that action anyway, even though, the action is still tight & solid, even though the barrel is mostly gone...

so... time to rebarrel... & heres where you can help me...

in consulting with my buddy, my 1st choices are

32-40
38-55
40-65
45-70

I'm planning a rebarrel in a longer ( the old barrel was 23.5" long, & looks short on the gun ) heavy contour octogon barrel... I want to fit the current burled beaver tail fore end, & intend to use the gun as an informal 200-300 yard bench rest gun... I can buy factory loads of all of the above, & will likely buy 100-200 rounds as $$$ allows, to get correctly stamped brass, but will be reloading, & likely casting my own bullets...

my buddy already has a 38-55 reamer in route for a Contender barrel he's building, & right ow I'm torn between the 32-40, 38-55, & 40-65 ( I already have a very nice 45-70 built on a Martini tropical action )

with I find myself leaning towards the 32-40 for economical reasons, though I'd have to buy a chamber reamer in that cartridge for my buddy, I know he'd do up a barrel in that caliber if I bought the reamer... I already have a Contender in 375 Winchester ( pretty close to the 38-55 ), so aside from the fact he has the reamer, I'm less interested in that... I have nothing in 40 caliber, but loaded rounds are way more expensive to start with anyway...

help me decide... 32-40, 38-55, or 40-65 ??? & or how about a recommended long range bullet mold in those calibers ???

a couple of pics just to repay you for your advise... thanks...

BTW... anyone have any exprience with these scopes ??? or have any other reasonably priced options ??? ( I wan't to leave the stock on the gun, so the rifle should be scoped... & I wan't something that looks "kind of period" ???

http://www.circlekb.com/page/CKCG/PROD/Optics/WM-334151

Page generated in 0.04956 seconds with 7 queries