View Single Post
Old July 7, 2008, 08:34 PM   #289
4V50 Gary
Tuck in and a kiss

Well, not quite a tuck in and certainly not a kiss from one's loving parents. Here's a story of a lieutenant who had one drunk in his company.

There was a lively whiskey row, as sometimes occurs after pay day, this afternoon, mostly in Company B. I had a little trouble with one of my men, who was just drunk enough to be impudent. It was nothing very serious and I got him into his tent and quieted down, saving him from the guard house and severe punishment. This same man, whose name is Gear, gave me quite a scare this evening. I was sitting alone in my tent, when someone scratched at the door, the camp way of knocking, and when I said, "Come in," saw it was Gear, who, when he entered, had his hand in the breast of his blouse, and as he withdrew it, I saw the butt of a pistol. For a moment I was startled, thinking he was going to shoot, and was just going to jump for him when he handed me the weapon, saying he didn't think he was a safe man to carry it. He also said he was sorry he was saucy to me, and thanked me for not turning him over to the guard. I gave him a little good advice and the matter is dropped, but he did scare me!
There is a Malvin Gear and an Albert E. Gear of Co. H, so I'm unsure which Gear was involved.
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt. Molon Labe!
Page generated in 0.03569 seconds with 7 queries