View Single Post
Old June 30, 2008, 02:33 AM   #156
.300H&H

How much does size matter?

There's I think a false sense of security that get's inadvertantly
promoted, when people focus so much on 'caliber size' and 'the percentage of one-stop kills...' The .357 mag. gets a sterling reputation for being a true manstopper ie. a 125gr.hollowpoint .357 gets the reputation of almost being a kind of super bullet. In reality ,however, the .357mag. is far from being a magic bullet - and in a snubbie, it's a bit brutal in regard to recoil and muzzle blast.

What gets overlooked in a lot of discussions about caliber effectiveness - is the reality of self defense. It's easy to demonstrate how one might eliminate a target with the right weapon and caliber, but the very hard part of the equation is being able to demonstrate how someone is going to be able to actually grab a weapon and use it effectively in a self defense situation.

I can shoot targets at the range all day, but in the real world when my attacker has surprised me a bit...and he's only 5 ft. away from me - I need self-defense skills that revolve more around my ability to come up quickly with a concealed weapon rather than the tactics that just revolve around the size of the bullet chambered.

The .25acp and good tactical skills trumps a .357mag. and poor tactical skills. If the bad guy see's the print of my full-size auto or my midsized revolver and takes it away from me - it does me no good. The tiny gun in my pocket might be the best weapon to have. If I can use it with skill, then it might make sense to carry it frequently.

The .25acp is not my nightstand gun, and it's not the gun I take in the great outdoors. The .25acp , however, is the little gun that I am carrying when you think I'm not carrying anything at all. Yeah, when I'm dressed like that cop in short pants on RENO 911, the .25acp is what's in my pocket.

Page generated in 0.04232 seconds with 7 queries