View Single Post
Old June 4, 2008, 11:15 PM   #2
pangris

DAY THREE

9:00 AM brought a new day and new targets. We ran more complicated good guy/bad guy drills and worked on pistol transitions.

Aroundlsu shaking his thing in a individual drill

Louis uses three dimensional targets to illustrate that sometimes you don’t want to shoot the center – at oblique angles, shooting the torso is a glancing shot unlikely to penetrate the rib cage. He emphasizes you have to look for a shot that will get you “deep meat”.

Targets, YFA style

Starting on day one, Awerbuck said expensive 1911s are the most problematic guns he sees and that they cause problems. I had planned on shooting my G19, but upon hearing that decided to break out my Caspian… the gun has seen five classes, probably 10,000 rounds, and never choked. I built the gun myself in the Patriot class, and it has been inspected by a number of smiths, all of whom said good things. After I finished it, a top smith who was a friend of a friend volunteered to install a match barrel for me, and he went through the gun as well. It has always run like a top.

My gun choked 15 rounds into the class – how, I’m still not exactly sure, but it took two tap rack bangs to clear it – then it worked perfectly for the rest of the class. The other 1911 in the class broke a King’s Ambi thumb safety. I can only attribute these events to the fact that Awerbuck so despises custom 1911s his aura alone causes them to tremble in fear and/or break.
I now have no choice but to take a pistol class with Awerbuck, using that pistol. If it makes it through the class, I’ll know it is indeed “the one”.
After that, we worked drills where we had to face the plate rack with four no shoots – two in front, two behind – until all the plates were hit. Then we had to transition to the pistol or slugs and hit the paper, with the plates being the no shoots.

After lunch, Louis ran us one by one in a drill where he was constantly yelling for us to change direction, or do whatever – load, shoot more, etc. It was an intense drill that gave everyone a lot to think about. I didn’t see a single person that made it through perfectly – or even with just a single mistake. Everyone made a bunch of mistakes – they didn’t move in the right direction, they ran out of ammo, they didn’t load when they could, etc.

Finally, my personal favorite was the Mirage target system.

Awerbuck introduces us to the final test

Working the Mirage as a mobile team

This is a system designed to illustrate that if there are multiple people in close quarters, and only one threat, you have to be very, very careful about shooting lest you hit the innocents. We did this as a single shooter, stationary, and as mobile two man teams. This drill will make you think about just how difficult a real shot might be, and reinforces you have to work to get a clear background.

SUMMARY

Overall, this was a great class. There was so much valuable minutia there is no way I could capture it all in a review – you really have to take a class from Louis to appreciate the type and quality of instruction that he brings to the table.

The man could put together a comedy routine for gun nuts. He has a lot of catchy little phrases that serve to not only make you laugh, but also help you remember. I will never, ever, look down at a gun again as I load it – I will hear him in my head saying that if you look for the hole, you are bragging about your virginity. There are countless other little examples.

All said and done, I can say with confidence anyone that takes a class with Louis Awerbuck will come away a better shooter on a number of levels.

Page generated in 0.04284 seconds with 7 queries