View Single Post
Old March 13, 2008, 03:39 AM   #89
Lurper

Quote:
I totally disagree with this. You are either going to need to move or you are not going to need to move. Training for both "situations" is the only way to go. If not.....it is dogma! When the action is fast and you are behind in the reactionary curve, you will be working at the subconscious level. If your subconscious mind chooses to move, then you will be moving. If you have not trained to shoot on the move then you are not prepared for the situation that has arisen.

It is not either/or.......it is both.
Not in the context of this discussion. One is an almost involuntary reaction, while the other is a premeditated action. Again, the argument isn't whether you will move or not, it is whether movement is beneficial or not. One thing I hadn't mentioned yet is that there is no guarantee that moving off of the X will move you out of the line of fire. The odds are just as likely that you will move into the line of fire. Some departments used to teach their officers to move to their left when facing an armed right handed opponent. Ron Avery's study showed that most unskilled right handed shooters would miss to their right. So, the doctrine had the effect of moving the officers into the most likely area where an unskilled shooter would miss.

Quote:
Would you still have those times from a real world holster and drawn from concealment?
That isn't a very fast holster - not a speed rig. It is IDPA legal.
From a duty holster, yes. From my concealed holster, add about .2. Those draws are not particularly fast. They are in the .9-.95 range. The Mozambique was 1.29, do the math. When I do videos, I do them at a pace where I can consistently perform for the camera.
More important is the time between shots. Very few civilians actually "draw" their guns. They either have them in their hands, under a counter, next to the seat, etc.. Tueller's advice is sage: have your gun in your hand at the first inkling of trouble. That's why - contrary to what some claim - I'm not saying it is a quick draw contest. More often than not, draw (like movement) is not a factor. What is the primary factor overwhelmingly is he who hits first wins. This is really such a no-brainer that I am astounded that people dispute it.

Page generated in 0.06099 seconds with 7 queries