View Single Post
Old January 16, 2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Conservadude

I would slightly modify the statement concerning taper crimp versus roll-crimp. You should taper crimp for any of the following conditions:

- The cartridge headspaces off the case
- When using electroplated (not the same thing as jacketed) lead bullets such as Rainier or Berry bullets. A roll crimp risks cutting through the electroplating and they you will likely get plating separation when fired (electroplating from the crimp on down will be on the ground somewhere in front of you). Worse yet, the separated plating will lodge in the barrel and obstruct the next round that you shoot, causing all kinds of havoc of course. Guns have been destroyed by doing this.
- Whenever the loading manual specifies a taper crimp for the round that you are using, or whenever the bullet manufacturer specifies a taper crimp for the bullet that you've selected.

You should use a roll-crimp for the following:

- Jacketed bullets with a cannelure groove
- Lead bullets
- Whenever the loading manual specifies it for the round you are loading or the bullet manufacturer specifies it for the bullet you are loading.
- In general for magnum or high-recoil loads (which rules out those electroplated bullets for high-recoil and magnum loads BTW)
- In general for rimmed cartridges that headspace off the cartridge rim

I think that covers it... There may be exceptions for some light-load rounds and roll crimps, i.e. OK to use a taper crimp.

Brian

Page generated in 0.04295 seconds with 7 queries