View Single Post
Old November 23, 2007, 12:37 PM   #24
BillCA

I guess I'm a certified "old phart" now that AARP is sending me pleadings to join up.

Tac reloads - forget the idea of retention. Reloading the gun and getting it into operation is the critical factor.

Or have people forgotten the lessons learned from the loss of four highway patrolmen at Newhall, Ca. in 1970? The primary lesson here was don't be caught dead with empties in your hand. Or rather, train how you fight, fight how you train.

(Some CHP officers were found with empty revolver brass in their hands because the CHP range taught them to drop empties into a coffee can in order to keep the range neat.)

If you've gotten yourself into an extended firefight, especially as a CCW, and you have lost track of how many shots (1,2,3...bunch), reload at your first opportunity. Worry about picking up the magazine when you have time. If I have to reload, it's time to reconsider continuing the fight vs. a tactical advance to the rear.

Press Checks:
On a range, I can understand this, occassionally. But I've long been in the habit of NOT holstering an empty gun or a gun with an empty chamber. If the gun has to be unloaded in the holster, remove the magazine. Load when appropriate and then holster. When leaving the house with a CCW piece, I know that it's loaded without needing a press-check.

Training:
The good thing about any firearm is that it allows a weak person to defend themselves against a stronger attacker or multiple attackers. Even with little training it seriously tips the scales in favor of the defender.

But how much training does one need? I think it depends on what kind of encounter you're likely to have.

For police & military a high level of training is desireable. Train solo, in pairs and in teams. Train with a good level of tactical thinking and widely varied courses of fire.

For CCW, at least a basic firearms course to learn the fundamentals of trigger squeeze, using the sights and a focus on COM shots.

Advanced CCW training, I think, should focus on CQ shooting, point shooting, multiple targets, the use of cover and reloading under stress. No fancy hostage scenes, no anti-terrorist drills.

Page generated in 0.04606 seconds with 7 queries