View Single Post
Old September 25, 2007, 09:54 PM   #236
4V50 Gary
Staff

More on Sam Houston

Earlier we mentioned Sam Houston and his interactions with women. Here's Sam and how he interacted with men.

Quote:
The army was marching through a lane which passed in front of Donahue's house. General Houston was in front, and just as he got opposite the house Donahue stepped out on the porch and said, "General, I don't want you to camp on my land or cut my timber." General Houston said, "All right Mr. Donahue, we'll not cut your timber." He then turned to the men in front and said, "Make a gap in the fence by taking out two panels." They did so, and he then said, "Forward, march, and follow me!" He marched around the fence enclosing the house, and by the time he got back to the gap the whole army was inside the enclosure. Houston turned to his men and said, "Mr. Donahue does not want you to cut his timber, and if any one cuts a tree I'll punish him. Take the rails from that inside fence, but don't break the outside fence." So they took the rails and made fires. This, of course, made Donahue mad, and he stepped back into the house and gave expression to his feelings in very strong language.
In our next installment, we'll find out how Sam Houston's men got Donahue even madder.

Page generated in 0.04776 seconds with 7 queries