If lead is so poisonous, why do doctors leave slugs in people sometimes?
Lead is poisonous if ingested (eaten) because it breaks down in stoamch fluids and enters the bloodstream, where it interferes with nervous system function and muscle control. If a piece of lead is lodged in your muscle tissue, it will be quickly encapsulated and will not dissolve to a great extent.
This whole thread is a non-issue. If you check the CA DFG web site, they are not outlawing lead, they are asking hunters to try to minimize leaving lead in carcasses and gutpiles due to the potential for condors to ingest the fragments. Sounds to me like more of an upland game issue than a big game hunting issue. But what do I know?