The NRA website has information on standards for building a shooting range.
There are a lot more things to creating a range than just having the land and 12-foot berms.
- Access - can people get to it? Is it safe to drive to in bad weather?
- Liability insurance - is a must
- Water Table - how deep is the water table there? And what kind of geological structure is the land on? This will be part of a review to make sure expended lead rounds don't pollute ground water.
- Neighbors - if people live about a mile away, they may object to the sound of constant or sporadic gunfire, depending on acoustics in the area.
- Structures - You'll need at least one enclosed structure for the range staff and to let people get out of cold/damp/wet weather.
- Power - how much will it cost to string electric power to the location?