Thread: Correct cost?
View Single Post
Old March 19, 2007, 11:20 PM   #2
kg6mti

The following is a copy of a post I made to another forum:

I have seen several post where people have mentioned how much is saved or not saved by reloading your own ammo. Several of the posts contained rough numbers but nothing exact. I don't know if this helps anyone else but I thought that it was interesting to look at. I created a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to see how long it would take to pay for the equipment needed to start reloading.

If you enter the values for the green area's on the sheet it will calculate the return on investment for the reloading equipment. There are some assumptions made within the sheet. It is assumed that only one caliber round is being reloaded. It is also assumed that the same powder load is used for every round being reloaded. The interesting numbers on the sheet are shaded in gray. You can compare the cost per round when purchased commercially and the cost of each round when reloaded. At the very least it will give you a reasonable idea what your investment looks like.

In my case I was going to need to reload almost 9,000 rounds just to break even on the initial investment of the reloading supplies and equipment. Using an average of 200 rounds a month it would take over three and half years to break even.

For now I am going to wait to begin reloading but I am definitely start collecting my empty brass when I am at the range so that when I do start reloading I will already have a collection of good brass.

I am not an financial expert but I think that I got this setup correctly. Let me know if there are any errors.

Below is a link to the spreadsheet:
http://www.geocities.com/net.shopper...loadingROI.xls

Page generated in 0.04213 seconds with 7 queries