View Single Post
Old August 9, 2006, 12:34 PM   #79
Capt Charlie
Staff

Quote:
Yes ANYTHING can be addicting,
Again, there is a huge difference between a psychological addiction and a physical addiction. Marijuana is not physically addicting, and yes, it should be decriminalized. In Ohio, possession of marijuana for personal use is a minor misdemeanor, same as a traffic ticket.

Quote:
Once again, drug use boils down to personal choice, if a person is going to use it without letting it interfere with their lives, or if a person will let it be their ruin is their choice good or bad.
Epyon, that's only partly true. With physically addicting drugs, a person only has a choice the first couple of times he uses. Once he's addicted, he has no choice.

These drugs are insidious demons. Early on, they caress you and whisper everything's OK. Quite literally before you know it, you're hooked, with escape being impossible without help, and the true demon reveals itself. You say you love freedom, but you couldn't be more of a slave.

Quote:
If one is not addicted it is almost impossible to truly understand it.
Truer words were never spoken, Mack59, and here's my dirty little secret. I was a full blown addict. (And that is was, and not am.) I hesitated to post this on an Internet forum, but I once swore the truth needs to be told.

A little over a decade ago, things weren't going well here. I experienced the death of several loved ones, and the near death of another after he intentionally shot himself. There were family problems, financial problems, and problems at work, and I was a total wreck. I couldn't sleep, and my performance and judgment at work were declining.

I went to my doc and told him this couldn't continue. He prescribed a drug called Ativan. It's a tranquilizer, and it seemed the perfect answer at the time. My concerns just seemed to melt away and I was finally sleeping well. The little label on the bottle that said "Warning, may be habit forming" didn't seem like a big deal. After all, a "habit" is picking your nose or biting your nails, right?

Months later, I noticed that the drug wasn't quite as effective, and I told my doc. He upped the dose, and once again, bliss enfolded me. This repeated itself several times over until I was at the max dose, and I was looking for ways to find more. Friends and family tried to tell me that something was wrong, but I didn't listen. After all, the drug caressed me and said everything was OK.

Finally, I sat back and took stock of myself, and decided it was time to stop this stuff and get on with life, so I quit.... cold. In less than 24 hrs., I found myself in the emergency room in life threatening convulsions, and after a couple of days in ICU, they shipped me to a detox ward, where I spent two weeks.

You cannot possibly imagine how sick I was. It was like the worst case of the flu you can imagine and I couldn't even walk without help. On top of that, I experienced wave after wave of terror, panic, and paranoia. I can't picture any hell being worse, but I grit my teeth, clenched my fists, and determined to beat the demon..... and I did, but it was easily the toughest fight of my life. NO ONE can know what it's like, unless you've been there.

The experience left me with an empathy and sympathy for addicts, and a pure hatred for those that deal drugs solely for financial gain.

The road to addiction is a pleasant and deceiving drive down a wide and smooth highway, but the road to recovery is an impossibly steep, rough, and long one, and were I able, I would spare anyone that trip, by any means necessary.

So when someone says to me, "It's my choice", I have to say, Choice? Slaves have no choices.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Capt Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05236 seconds with 7 queries