View Single Post
Old January 24, 2006, 11:43 PM   #13
tulsamal

I wanted a +P 9mm load for my Glock 17. I wanted something that would at least get me close to the mythical 125 grain .357 Magnum loads. I use my G17 around the ranch as a general purpose holster gun and a load at that level will kill just about anything around here that needs to be killed. I tried a few different things and finally decided I was getting the best results with Accurate Arms #7. I use the Sierra 115 grain JHC bullet and it has given me truly excellent results. The load I use is .1 to .2 grains over listed max in the Sierra handgun manual. You should be able to get just a hair over 1300 fps with that.

Now here is my big caution when it comes to 9mm! Cases matter. They matter a lot. If you try to exceed the published maximums while using military brass, you may be in trouble. The military cases are heavier, which is good, but that lowers capacity, which is bad. My experience has been you need to go about .2 grains lighter with military brass. Try various makes of commercial brass and see which one you like the best. Just don't develop a total max load in one brand of brass and then load it without a buildup in some other brass. 9mm cases are so small that you are dealing with a very small safety margin.

And overall case length is critical as well. You want to seat the bullet out as far as possible to maximize your powder space. But you have to stay within OAL max plus you have to take the particular bullet into account. And watch out for your neck crimp! If you don't get a good taper crimp, you could end up with a bullet getting pushed backwards into the case. That will cause your pressures to SOAR so watch out for it. Try to push the bullet in a loaded case on your bench. Hold the brass and push the bullet into the wood. Push hard. Measure before and after. If the darn thing moves, you need more crimp!

Gregg

Page generated in 0.04126 seconds with 7 queries