Breaking it Down
Threat focus shooting is something that is best done without thinking about it. It is a technique that is best shown, then done. That is the truth of the matter, but because of this it is often seen as some sort of parlor trick or worse, something that is not accurate or dependable. I would like to take an approach to this that I have not seen before. That approach being, to try to break down why threat focus shooting actually works. By breaking it down to it's "bare bones" we could take some of the mystique away.
There are many elements that go into accurate threat focused shooting and by knowing exactly what those elements are we will see that we are actually using a very well developed aiming system. By knowing that it is a well developed aiming system, the confidence in the technique will soar and when the time comes that you need it, it will be there like a trusted friend.
First lets look at the elements of sighted fire.
This is a very simple and highly effective form of sighting in. But it is also something that is, in the most part, done on a conscious level.
Now let us look at the elements of threat focus shooting.
(1) Understanding and ability to square up.
(2) Understanding and ability to use the centerline.
(3) Understanding and ability to draw "Parallel to the ground."
(4) Understanding and ability to use the nose index.
(6) Understanding and ability to use a body index.
(5) Kinesthetic alignment.
(7) Use of peripheral vision verification.
(8) Use of ones natural ability to point your finger at an object.
(9) Use of ones natural hand/eye coordination.
(10) Absolute confidence, knowing this all adds up to a very accurate system.
When broken down into it's elements it hardly looks mystical anymore. It seems to be a highly developed aiming system. Another thing to take into consideration is that almost all of this is done on a subconscious level. These are elements that you do not have to think about. That is why threat focused shooting is best done without thinking about it. Once you know the elements, trained with the elements, it all comes together in a micro second with zero conscious thought. This is why threat focused shooting excels in dynamic confrontations. It is a natural human response.