View Single Post
Old October 6, 2005, 08:53 AM   #105
tanksoldier

Quickie quibbles:

Scenario #1: Any drawn weapon on the part of a criminal constitutes a deadly threat. If you don't draw and fire as soon as the threat is presented you may never have another chance. If the criminal begins firing his weapon he will get off at least one, possibly several shots before you can respond... one of which may be aimed at you and terminate any response you might have made. If the tactical situation will not let you respond immediately (ie: he gets the drop on you) you should draw and fire as soon as the criminal is distracted.

Quote:
In the first example, I'd really hate to see a situation turn uglier because of the actions of a self-proclaimed hero - a true hero will put his ego aside and keep his gun in its holster if it means that NOT acting is likely to save more lives.
Scenario #2: His not having a gun is irrelevant. Anyone with a knife within 7 yards of a potential victim is a deadly threat. It is also possible for an unarmed suspect to present a deadly threat. You don't have to get in a fistfight with someone just because they are unarmed. In this scenario if the suspect was merely using his size and strength to beat the woman into submition, and you drew your weapon and ordered him to the ground, but instead he continued to advance on you... you would be justified in shooting him before he achieved physical contact even though he is unarmed. You could shoot before he closed to within 7 yards if he had a knife.

Quote:
Furthermore, we have not established whether this attacker has a gun!

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page generated in 0.04756 seconds with 7 queries