View Single Post
Old September 2, 2005, 06:20 PM   #39
wayneinFL

bdc:
Quote:
I WATCH MY WEIGHT. KIND OF MUNDANE AND COMMON SENSE, HUH? RIGHT! HOW MANY PEOPLE TO YOU KNOW WHO ARE PHYSICALLY FIT? NOT VERY MANY.
I'm gonna stay fat. So I can go without food longer than you.

I'm a mile and a half from the coast, outside of the fifty-year flood plain. Just about the best drainage in our neighborhood. I picked that location for a reason. Where we're at, even if we did flood in a major hurricane (doubtful) the water will recede pretty quickly. Wind-wise, I should be good for a cat 4, although I'd lose shingles. I'd stay mainly to tarp the roof. Cat 5 I might bug out. I would definitely send the wife and kids out. Wife's bug out bag consists of a credit card. Cash helps, too. If you can afford it, always have some cash in the BOB.

Last year my wife evacuated. IIRC, she left a couple of days before Frances hit here last year, when it was still forecast as a cat 4. Traffic snarled,and hotels full. 12 hours of driving barely got her to Lake City, and she only got that far because she knows the back roads. I had friends who went to Orlando and rode out the hurricane in a motel there. The only food they had was chips. I could easily see someone getting stranded, so the bug out bag is really not a bad idea.

I always keep both my cars and the company van full of gas. At home, I keep canned food, ten gallons or so of drinking water, a jug of bleach, and an extra tank of propane during hurricane season. Gotta cook up all that meat before it goes bad. Hurricanes mean lots of grillin'

Unless you're in New Orleans. Scary. All these years they've theorized about what would happen in a major hurricane, and it's all underwater. And all those people dead and dying.

Page generated in 0.04680 seconds with 7 queries