View Single Post
Old March 18, 1999, 04:24 PM   #4
James K
Staff

I was once accused of having a negative personality, so I'll blame that for what follows. The Japanese actions are very strong, but not in practice any more so than many more modern actions. But the economics have to raise a question. First is the cost of the original gun. Then, Japanese actions can't use the pre-threaded barrels, most of which are for Mauser actions, so you have to start with a blank and spend a lot of lathe time to cut threads. Then sights, then bolt bending (and still not low enough for good scope mounting), then a sporter stock and --- $500 pretty quick, not counting shop, insurance, etc. And you end up with a converted Japanese rifle (like tens of thousands of others) worth maybe $250 on a dark day. Plus the actions may be strong, but they are (except for some pre-war ones) pretty rough, and they can't easily be slicked up. The rifle cocks on closing, and the safety is - well, different. I also like to have fun playing with something, but in economic terms, I don't see how this idea works. (The old gunsmiths didn't bother rebarreling, they just rechambered and let the customer fire .308 bullets in a .311 bore or use a 6.5/257 wildcat. They didn't have so many liability lawyers to worry about.)

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited March 18, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.05209 seconds with 7 queries