View Single Post
Old July 15, 2005, 03:12 PM   #19
HighValleyRanch

Tap, rack & fire caution....

Recently at a CCW course, this incident happened to me:
As taught in the course for a type one malfunction, failure to fire, we were taught the tap, rack and fire procedure.
During a practice course of rapid fire on the line, I encountered a click after the trigger on my glock was pulled. No fire.
Assumed that the slide did not hold open after the last shot and racked the slide to check. Saw that there was a case in the chamber, and racked the slide again to eject. Case gone, ejected the current magazine, popped in a second full magazine and released the slide. Slide did not go foward all the way, and would not fire. Locked the slide back again and second time it would not close again. By this time I decided to slow down and really check what was happening, perhaps a bad ejector? By this time the RCO came over to see what was happening. He looked down the barrel after emptying the chamber and mag and could see a bullet lodged in the chamber!!!
Good thing that it was lodged in the beginning of the riflling, otherwise the next round would have loaded and kaboom!!
We finally determined that perhaps the first round did not go off due to bad primer or no power. (match grade commercial reloads)
When I racked the slide, it jammed the bullet into the rifling, but pulled the case off the rear, and thus the bullet remained lodged in the barrel.

So... before you tap, rack and fire, remember that incident.
Still practice it, though....
Thought it was tap, rack, look and fire.

Page generated in 0.04360 seconds with 7 queries