View Single Post
Old October 31, 2000, 06:18 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I've never seen perfection. Not even when I shave.

When shooting a deer, I try for perfection. I have a high batting average, but no perfection. In some 40 years, I've only lost two deer that I know were wounded.

On the first, I saw hair "puff" right at the heart, on a broadside shot--75 yards with a .270. He went to his knees. He jumped up. About 30 years back, and I haven't found him, yet. My father and I worked for some two hours, and never even found a spot of blood nor hoofprints for "which way did he go?"; we're pretty fair trackers, too.

On the second, I pulled a tad low and left, and instead of a quartering chest shot, broke a foreleg. It sounded like a good hit; '06 at 60 yards. The deer went down like a nice, cooperative dead deer. As I walked to within 15 yards, he jumped up and ran. I put the scope on him and got 4X sunlight in my eye. Blindness tends to crimp your style. And he was gone to the brush...

It's all well and good to talk about not shooting a late-evening buck, but often that's the only time of day you'll have a chance. That's one of the main reasons for a scope--good seeing at dusk, to identify the deer and make sure it's a deer and not a person. All in all, though, for our group of of some ten lease-hunters, over a ten-year period, I only recall one night-tracking episode--and it was successful. But that's another story.

, Art

Page generated in 0.06876 seconds with 7 queries