View Single Post
Old May 20, 2005, 08:21 AM   #5
Davis

By the way, the Savages of the early 1980's are identical in construction to those made in the late 1990's. The bolts did go through a change (along with the triggers) but this was not for safety's sake. The older bolts have a "C" style extractor on the bolt head which worked, but was needlessly complicated. The trigger was pretty tough to adjust as well. When the 110 C was introduced, that changed and all rifles went to the standard extractor that is used now (and is like the Remington 700).

I had a fellow at a posh Sports store near my home tell me he wouln't sell Savage rifles because he considered them poor quality. Now, that is fine and he lost the chance to sell me a rifle because of that. But, he proudly sells Remington 710's, which in nobody's book equals the Savage 110. He doesn't sell Savages, more likely, because he doesn't have distribution rights and doesn't want to expand his inventory to accomidate them. No problem and over diversification can cause real trouble. But, his excuse for not selling Savages (and a transparent reason to convince me not to buy a Savage but rather to purchase one of his excessively priced rifles) is full of crap. Perhaps you are finding a similar scenario?

As to the action, I consider it superior to the Remington 700 because it really is a safer design in my opinion. I like Remington's, save for the crappy 710, and would have no problem owning one and my opinion is just that, an opinion. But if the 110 were produced with the Remington name on it, Remington would likley find the 700 falling more by the wayside.

They might not, of course, as the 700 does give a more custom feel as it lacks the barrel nut and generally comes with a better finish. Of course, a Savage 114 can be had for the same price as the 700 BDL and of equal finish, though still with the blind magazine.

Davis

Page generated in 0.04962 seconds with 7 queries