View Single Post
Old May 14, 2005, 09:28 PM   #107
FrankDrebin

Quote:
Frank,

My statement about feedback was more related to our discussion here and how some are taking those that feel this was handled badly, to task, as if we shouldn't comment negatively because the incident involves Police. When someone, like you, cuts and pastes individual comments, in effect, parsing words, it greatly affects the original content of the post making it seem different from what was intended.
Well, let me just post the whole thing then so we can be clear with each other. I wouldn't want to parse any words.

Quote:
The mere fact they shot one of their own, who thank god had a vest on, is proof enough this was a "sloppy" (at the least) action by the Police. That's not a knock against Police, lets get real here, we have to pay them, any victims, and may ourselves (or worse, our loved ones) be shot in this kind of situation. Why the outrage at questioning the training and techniques? Shouldn't we all insist on a safe AND effective Police force? Its silly to twist this into anything less then a screw up that needs to be addressed and corrected. If WE do a bad job at work won't we hear about it and receive feedback and/or disciplinary action? Lets get real people and intelligently address the problem instead of covering it up because of the nature of police work. We know most of the Police are good, hard working dedicated professionals, shouldn't they all be?
You said, in the above context:

Quote:
If WE do a bad job at work won't we hear about it and receive feedback and/or disciplinary action? Lets get real people and intelligently address the problem instead of covering it up because of the nature of police work.
Your profile says that you're an office manager. I'm going to assume that when you say "we", those that you include in "we" and in particular the office managers among the "we" don't have their mistakes plastered on national news unless you're the head office manager of Enron. So, at the risk of parsing words, YOU aren't likely to receive the kind of feedback that you're providing on an internet forum as the result of a national news story based on your mistake. So I stand by my original statement that the police should not be subject to discipline merely, or in any fashion or amount because YOU would be subject to discipline in your job for a totally different kind of mistake that is related to your type of work.

Quote:
Its silly to twist this into anything less then a screw up that needs to be addressed and corrected
Anything less than a screw up? They got a run about shots fired. They had information (according to one report) that a described suspect in a described vehicle was armed and dangerous. They found the suspect and took him into custody. "This" was FAR less than a "screw up". There was one aspect and only one, as far as I can see, that should have been done differently in the safety of 20-20 hindsight (besides more effective driver's education training as far as what do do when there's a police car behind you with flashing lights) and THAT would be to have all the cops on one side of the truck to avoid shooting any cops on the OTHER side of the truck. THAT is not going to happen in the real world no matter how much training you provide on crossfire avoidance. Things happen too quickly in the real world to avoid all crossfire incidents all the time, especially when shooting at a moving target in a moving vehicle.

Page generated in 0.04644 seconds with 7 queries