View Single Post
Old May 8, 2005, 11:20 AM   #83
Real Gun

It occurred to me that merely showing the gun and threatening to shoot in hopes of scaring the guy away might not have been a realistic option because of poor lighting and my assumption that an XD9 is black. If the guy had been armed, I think he would have already demonstrated that rather than hit someone with his fist.

I think it's always the case with self defense that "you had to be there", and I think the law generally allows for that reality.

I do note at the range that some shooters are in the habit of shooting more than one round at a time, usually three. In this case, the first wounding hit in the leg would have played better as others second guess what did happen or should have. Also I think I would say that one shot as if it was your last cartridge would make for a better shot. Spraying the area like you have a machine gun sounds like watching too many movies. The quality of shooting and number of shots doesn't sound very good for close range.

I couldn't say what I would do if really scared, but I do know what scenarios I have rehearsed in my head. I also try to think of range time as somewhat realistic. Never mind the macho bang-bang-bang stuff.

Of course, part of the problem is relying upon a 9mm. That could be one reason why the perp isn't dead after taking a belly shot.

One thing I wouldn't do is make an insurance claim to patch a bullet hole. You're going to quickly find out how your insurance company feels about guns. Pay for it out of pocket and leave well enough alone.

Page generated in 0.04294 seconds with 7 queries