View Single Post
Old May 8, 2005, 04:36 AM   #79
univtxattorney

John Locke on Thieves...

"This makes it lawful for a man to kill a thief who has not in the least hurt him, nor declared any design upon his life, any farther than by the use of force, so to get him in his power as to take away his money, or what he pleases, from him; because using force, where he has no right to get me into his power, let his pretence be what it will, I have no reason to suppose that he who would take away my liberty would not, when he had me in his power, take away everything else. And, therefore, it is lawful for me to treat him as one who has put himself into a state of war with me - i.e., kill him if I can; for to that hazard does he justly expose himself whoever introduces a state of war, and is aggressor in it."

John Locke, The Second Treatise of Government Chapter 3, Section 17

It has long been held that one who would take your property by force would not hesitate to take your life. As you know, Locke's philosophy was probably the biggest influence on our Founding Fathers. This passage is as meaningful today as it was when he wrote it.

DALE GRIBBLE: You're telling me there's a poorly-trained, quasi-legal police force that operates with few, if any, government controls? IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Last edited by univtxattorney; May 8, 2005 at 06:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 7 queries