View Single Post
Old May 6, 2005, 09:44 PM   #32
wayneinFL

"Rockville, Md. Gilberts Indoor Range requires that you shoot their ammo period. Whether it's a rental gun or your own personal firearm."

This sucks. I had one of the local ranges do this to me recently. I was planning to shoot a match over the weekend, needed 400 rounds of 40 S&W, and didn't have time to load any. So I bought 500 rounds of winchester white box at the last minute.

This is a different load than I usually handload for so I needed to adjust my sights. Wednesday night before the match I stopped by this range, because the outdoor range I have a membership to won't let you shoot past 5 p.m. So not only did they leave me out in the cold that day, but I can't practice in there with my handloads in the evenings either. For good.

Lo and behold there's a big sign prohibiting the use of anything but the shop's ammo on the range. So not only did they leave me out in the cold that day, but I can't practice in there with my handloads in the evenings either. For good.

It's a money thing- they want you to buy their ammo- sign spelled that out. I can understand this in a way. But I always thought of an indoor range at a gun shop as a loss leader, kind of like the gas pumps, all the old service stations used to have. Something to get people in the door, train them to shoot, get them shooting, then fulfilling their needs in the gun shop, and making money there. Selling ammo is great, but I think someone who brings handloads into the range is probably the type of guy who shoots a lot and buys a lot firearms and firearm accessories ....

Besides, I had a bad experience with the range reloads at another local range. I wouldn't use them again. I think I posted that on another thread a while back.

Page generated in 0.05518 seconds with 7 queries