View Single Post
Old September 9, 1999, 06:07 PM   #10
Long Path

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Your .45 LC handloads should be welcome there I also screwed up Colorado's law (I must of been half asleep). It is:

Colorado: Minimum of 550 ft-lbs of energy at 50 yards, at least 4" barrel, and at least .24 caliber.
[/quote]

Last time I checked, they meant that to mean factory loading in that caliber. I.E.: .44 mag, .41 mag (?), 50 AE, .454 Casull, and any rifle cartridges. Supposedly, the game warden shouldn't have to perform tests to know whether your .45 LC is loaded romp'em stomp'em, or "cowboy action poofter level" (no offense, CAS guys!). But wait-- who's to say that my pet handload in .44 magnum cases isn't a 180g bullet at 900? (read: poooooofter load!)

I TEND to think the game wardens are pragmatists who would give you no flack if you were carrying a .45 LC with a .300 grain hard-cast SWC over 20 gr of 2400, and could quote the load and velocity out of your Blackhawk, but I hate to depend on the kindness of strangers. Maybe they changed it a little. If it's ambiguous enough that it could now be interpreted as ANY load that is &gt;550 fp @ 50 yards, then my .45 LC would fly, now. I'd love to think so.

It's all a game. But I play by the rules.

Of course, this foot pound business is silly, if you consider how they'll allow arrows with far, FAR fewer foot pounds of energy (David, would you rather we used "slugs"? [just as arcane a unit of E.]), yet do the job handily.

A BIG, heavy bullet at moderate velocities won't make much in the way of foot pounds (energy), but will have immense inertia (momentum) (MV), and can do major damage, just like that arrow does as it cuts through the vitals. By the 550+fp requirement, your factory-loaded 185g hot .44 mag HP could be used for elk, but not your factory Kieth-style hard-cast SWC 255g at 1000 (I think somebody loads one now...). Frankly, I'd rather have the latter.

-----

By the way, I kind of like the fact that Texas doesn't meddle much in our cartridge selection. Much as I hate the fools who use too little for too much, I hate even more the fools who take any semblence of discretion away from me "for our greater good." The main reason, as I understand it, that .22 rimfire was originally banned from deer hunting was that it was a favorite of poachers for it's low report. This was why crossbows were banned in Texas for a long time. Centerfire cartridges make enough report, generally, to advertise your location.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Page generated in 0.04321 seconds with 7 queries